Allen Iverson Trade - Billups/McDyess Involved in Nuggets/Pistons Deal

In what is easily the most surprising news in the NBA this season, the Denver Nuggets are reportedly trading Allen Iverson to the Detroit Pistons for Chauncey Billups and Antonio McDyess

The Nuggets weren't going to be very good w/ Iverson and Anthony together, so it made sense for them, but I have no idea what the Pistons are thinking here.  Sure, Iverson will help sell tickets, but I wouldn't even necessarily consider him an upgrade over Billups.

Both Billups and McDyess have played in Denver before, so I'm sure they know what they're getting from both players.  Billups is a Finals MVP and NBA Champion, while McDyess has had a pretty good career after almost being written off after micro-fracture knee surgery.

It will be interesting to see how the Denver lineup shakes up now w/ Billups at the point.

Published Monday, November 03, 2008 2:26 PM by chowell

Comments

Monday, November 03, 2008 3:26 PM by Precious

# re: Allen Iverson Trade - Billups/McDyess Involved in Nuggets/Pistons Deal

I love it....I NEVER liked the Pistons before, but I think I love them now. All they have to do is get rid of RASHEED, and we are good for the Championship run.
Monday, November 03, 2008 5:38 PM by Iverson*fan

# re: Allen Iverson Trade - Billups/McDyess Involved in Nuggets/Pistons Deal

I think it is a good trade for both teams, Denver didn't have the formula to compete in the West. Even with Iverson & Carmelo running the show, however I don't think Iverson was the problem in the Mile High. But adding Billups, and McDyess(if he decides to play) is a little bit of an upgrade at the point guard position. Iverson on the other hand collaborating with all-star Rip Hamilton, former all-star Rasheed Wallace, and should be all-star Tayshaun Prince. Is cause for a lot of excitement in the Motor City, just the thought of that line-up is giving me crazy thoughts of Iverson finally getting closer to that elusive ring. It will still be a tough road for both teams, but I'm excited to see the Answer back in the east.!!! Good Luck A.I.
Monday, November 03, 2008 6:52 PM by gus brewer

# re: Allen Iverson Trade - Billups/McDyess Involved in Nuggets/Pistons Deal

pistons had a better chance of beating the celtics with billups, but they wouldnt have come that close anyway....
Monday, November 03, 2008 9:56 PM by Peter Robert Casey

# re: Allen Iverson Trade - Billups/McDyess Involved in Nuggets/Pistons Deal

This trade tilts in the favor of Denver. With a pass-first point guard like Billups, they'll be more balanced as a unit. Iverson's toughness will be missed, but Billups leadership is unquestionable. -Peter Robert Casey
Tuesday, November 04, 2008 12:33 PM by Karl Monroe

# re: Allen Iverson Trade - Billups/McDyess Involved in Nuggets/Pistons Deal

I like the trade, both teams have other holes to fill on their roster, but Denver needed that true point guard to get the offense going. And they found one in Chauncey Billups, who is a little slower these days. But Billups understands the game at that position, and with J.R. Smith improving his game, Billups will fit in nicely with Carmelo & Co. Now with the Pistons getting Iverson, I definitely like it. The Answer returns to the East but with an all new cast that can defend. this ain't the 2001 MVP Iverson but you can never count him out. I think this is just what he needs to rejuvenate his career, he may be on the downside of his career but he still gives 110% anytime he's on the floor. And with Detroit known for their defense, I think A.I. will pick up on that as well. His role is different now, but come playoff time watch out!.